This past weekend, I basically opted out of all social activities. And it was exactly what I needed.
After a few months’ worth of making new friends, partying, and exploring the city, I knew I needed a break. Since I’ve given up alcohol for the month of August, I saw this as a chance to revisit what I’d call “The Old Me.”
Old me (think post-college, pre-full time job, living at home) was in the best shape of my life. I spent a lot of my free time at the gym or training for my half. With minimal restaurant options and almost zero desire to “go out” in my home town, being in great shape was, well, easy!
- Came home from work and went on a cleaning spree. I swept, swiffered, dusted, and disinfected my kitchen and living room.
- Cooked an awesome, easy dinner. A store-bought Hatch Chili Salmon Burger over spinach, with mango and sauteed kale sprouts.
- Shopping! I went to the nearby TJ Maxx, Central Market, and Michaels and came home with some nail polish, snacks, and craft supplies for my best friend’s birthday present.
- I wrapped up the evening with Netflix and Arctic Zero. ❤ I was in bed by 11pm.
- A Saturday morning workout?! What even are you?! I woke up without my alarm during the 7:00 hour and completed the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred Level 3 workout. Face sweat!
- I snuck in a quick trip to the local Goodwill, and scored Joan Baez and Joni Mitchell records for $1.99 each.
- Oatmega time! I spent four hours at Sprouts, demoing my fave bars.
- Since I was already at the store, I did my grocery shopping. I picked up cauliflower, figs, mangoes, chicken breast, whole wheat cinnamon raisin bread, and a lot more.
- Made a Target run, and talked to my Mom on the phone. Because no good weekend is complete without these. 🙂
- Another early morning! I woke up and laid in bed for a while, making a leisurely breakfast and enjoying my coffee.
- I took the spin class from hell. Was NOT feeling it at all, but I did it!
- Grabbed an iced coffee from Dunkin’ – former barista or not, I know my roots.
- Spent a few hours walking around The Domain, a high-end outdoor mall a few miles north of me.
- To the movies! Full confession: This was my first time going to the movies by myself. I don’t mind doing things alone – concerts, restaurants, it doesn’t bother me. But this was a new one! I’m not a huge movie girl to begin with, so I’m not sure I’d do this again.
While I didn’t spend a lot of time socializing this weekend, I have zero regrets. I’ve been reading a lot about venus in retrograde, and I’m a full believer. I’m totally okay with spending some time reflecting and revisiting my wants, needs, and feelings.
Honestly, I kind of missed The Old Me!
- What is The Old You like?
- Do you ever purposely spend a weekend mostly alone?