So I’m officially 1 week into my Lenten vegan challenge, and 2 weeks into the Blogilates ‘April Abs’ calendar.
I thought this would be a good time to check in & recap how each one is making me feel. I must say — I’m a bit surprised!
1 Week Vegan Check-In:
- I never feel overly full. After a meal, I feel noticeably good. Satisfied, not stuffed.
- Okay… there are such poor protein bar options for vegans! I’m still looking for a vegan protein bar that is not soy based (pea or hemp protein would be great) and low sugar. Any suggestions? Or recipes?!
- I know I’m late to the party, but I’m finally aboard the Vega nutrition/protein powder train! I tried individual packets of the Vanilla Chai and Coconut Almond flavors before investing in a tub of the natural flavor from TJ Maxx. Before, I had found all vegan protein powders to be pretty “meh,” but I looove the flavor & nutritional profile of these.
- The only time I felt like I was missing out was Saturday. A friend & I won tickets to an event that was showcasing different BBQ restaurants around town. Free BBQ, and I missed it! Check out this brisket chocolate chip cookie. I mean, what?!
- As predicted, protein has been the biggest challenge – especially for snacks. I find myself defaulting to fruit as a snack.
- I am choosing to do vegan 6 days a week, and vegetarian 1 day. On the vegetarian day, I’m not going to “seek out” things like eggs or dairy, but I will allow myself, ohhhh sayyyyy, a salted caramel pecan brownie. Not that I did that already. ; ) ; )
- Overall, I feel good & this hasn’t been too hard at all!
2 Week Blogilates Check-In:
(In case you missed it, I committed to doing the April Abs calendar, even though it’s only February. I expressed some pros and cons to doing a specific workout plan, and my opinions have basically remained the same.)
- Oh, Cassey… sometimes I mute you. But I definitely can’t discredit her perkiness and positivity!
- I’ve been sore 2 or 3 times – mainly in my butt. No visible results yet in my abs/core.
- The workouts are usually 45-60 minutes. It’s long, and some 15-minute HIIT workouts can get me WAY sweatier! These workouts sometimes feel like a “waste,” but I just try to remind myself that this is a different kind of workout than I’m used to.
- Cassey suggests you supplement the workout videos with additional cardio. I understand why, but I’m already dedicating an hour to her workouts, and honestly just don’t want to have to run (etc.) as well.
- It also really upset me when Cassey suggests eating no fruit after 2pm. Any diet that wants you to limit fruit seems pretty messed up in my book. Fruit is not what makes us fat.
Overall, veganism is going great! The calendar is going okay. This week, I’m incorporating more HIIT workouts on top of the calendar. I don’t love pulling two-a-days, but I feel good when I can work up a sweat! =)
- What’s one workout, protein bar, or protein powder you’re loving lately?
- Would you eat a brisket cookie?!