Hey, dusty old blog… it’s been almost two weeks since I’ve seen ya. Was it because I got lazy? Busy? Just didn’t have anything to say?
Honestly, it was probably a combination of the three. As I like to say … life happens. Nothing bad, just life. Late nights & early mornings at work, prepping for the holidays, exploring new parts of town, and a 10-day visit from an old friend. All great things that I feel very lucky for.
So, no, I haven’t had much to talk about. I have no recipes to share because I’ve been eating a whole lot of candy, tacos and cheese. I’ve participated in more “holiday cheer” than my kidneys would like to acknowledge. I’ve also done damage control with a whole lot of boring salads, fish and oatmeal – nothing very inventive to share.
I’ll be honest – I’m letting myself enjoy the holiday season as I said I would, and it’s amazing! I bet I’ll gain 5 lbs. I bet I’ll lose it by mid-February. I seriously don’t care.
So instead of staying quiet through my holly jolly holiday prep, I was inspired to share what the holiday season means to me.
The holiday season means…
- Visits with friends and family … which are so precious now that I’ve moved away from home.
- Traditional foods that only come around once a year … hello, rich and decadent.
- Baking cookies with Mom … Tollhouse chocolate chip are a must. For Santa, not me, of course.
- Giving, donating and helping when I can … because I know some people have it rough this time of year.
- Snail mail … don’t hand-written Christmas cards mean so much more than a text?
- Hot chocolate is necessary … even if I cringe at the ingredients list.
- Resisting the urge to shop for myself … when I’m supposed to be buying presents.
- A peppermint mocha latte or two … even though my ex-barista persona disapproves ; )
- Couch time and Christmas movies … everyone’s got their 5 or 6 holiday favorites, right?
- PJs, sweatpants, and slippers are my uniform … what? I make ’em cute.
- Wearing a Santa Hat in public … to embarrass my friends.
- My car radio has 1 preset … ‘The Magic of Christmas’ channel, of course.
- Putting off my wrapping until the last minute … sorry, it’s never been my strong suit.
- Walking in the door and turning on the Christmas lights … before I even take my coat off.
- Red, green, silver and gold … have a permanent residence in my wardrobe, my apartment and my fingernails.
- Spending less energy on ‘things,’ and more on ‘people’ … as cheesy as it is, I’m really feeling what Christmas is really about this year.
Your Turn –
- What’s something special you treat yourself to around the holidays?
- Are you more “cookies & candy,” or “salads & fish” right now? (Happy balance of both, here!)
- What do the holidays mean to you?
By the way – if you’re feeling extra Christmasy, check out my friend Georgie (InIt4theLongRun)’s Chai Gingerbread Smoothie recipe, and be sure to enter her awesome Vega Protein giveaway!