New Year’s Resolutions are so overdone. I’m all for setting goals and refocusing, but why wait until January 1st?
After my Thanksgiving vacation, I was honestly excited to settle back into a routine. My stomach was hurting and my body was craving healthy, wholesome foods. Vacation was great, but I knew what I needed to do. Monday, December 1st seemed like a perfect time to start fresh.
With the holidays coming up, I know I won’t have the “cleanest” or “fittest” December. I mean, Christmas cookies? I’m all over it. But I did set a few realistic goals for myself this month that should help me stay on track and feeling like myself.
1) Be open-minded with my workouts. This time of year is crazy busy. Holidays parties, catching up with friends, and Christmas shopping sometimes takes priority over a 90-minute gym session, and that’s okay! As Kelly alluded to, this month I hope to remain flexible with my workouts. If that means a quick HIIT workout, walk, or yoga flow instead of taking my favorite class at the gym, that’s what I’ll do!
2) Eat normally most of the time. You know your friend the 80/20 rule? That’s what December’s all about. This isn’t too hard for me since all the meals I prep for myself are pretty balanced. I’d like to continue to eat nutritious meals all month long, seeing as I know a few holiday splurges are inevitable.
3) Get plenty of sleep. Confession – I stayed up late every night this week cleaning and decorating my apartment (hey, it could be worse). But I know I function best on 7-8 hours of sleep, so I want to stay committed to that every night.
4) Know I won’t be perfect. I’m done with feeling guilty after a piece of pie (okay, two… and a half) at a holiday get together. I’m not going to be that girl who eats only salad and a small piece of turkey at dinner. Plus, I know that depriving myself only makes things worse later on.
I truly think it’s so important to give yourself some slack this time of year. Don’t feel guilty. Enjoy the holidays. Life’s too short to stress and be hard on yourself, especially during such a joyous season.
I feel good knowing that I can keep myself healthy, happy, and balanced this month without having to wait ’til January. Before you can spread joy to others, you have to find it within yourself. ❤
Your Turn –
- Thoughts on New Year’s Resolutions?
- Any good tricks for staying healthy and happy during the holidays?