It’s Fridayyyyy! I’m not even trying to contain my excitement. This week has been a little on the draggy side, so I’m excited for the weekend!
A big part of what’s been making this week seem long is the 6 AM Camp Gladiator workouts I’ve been doing. Have you heard of Camp Gladiator?
I hadn’t heard of it until I came to Austin and my coworker told me all about it.
So what is Camp Gladiator? In my opinion, it’s sort of like a boot camp. Each camp and each workout is different, but a CG workout generally incorporates moves like sprints, squats, burpees, lunges, planks, pushups, and so on.
Each “camp” is a 4 week series of workouts in locations all over the city. You can come to any and every workout; they’re at all different times and locations for your convenience.
Although I have a gym membership, I signed up for a camp during a $6 promotion they were running. One four-week camp is typically ~$180, so this was a phenomenal deal I had to jump on!
So far, I’ve attended camp on Monday, Wednesday, and this morning. I’m still deciding how I feel about camp… so I thought I’d share my thoughts with you so far.
- The location. Less than 1/2 mile from my place!
- Early bird workout. Being done with my workout by 7 AM feels great.
- No thinking required. The best thing about group exercise is that someone else does the planning – all you have to do is show up.
- New moves. Some of the workouts have incorporated new moves like froggers that I haven’t ever done on my own.
- Fake enthusiasm. When I work out, I’m there for me. I’m not there to make friends. So the whole “introduce yourself to 3 people!” thing feels a little forced.
- 6 AM. I love my morning workouts, but my 7 AMs were working just fine. There’s a big difference between waking up at 5:30 and waking up at 6:30, okay?!
- Working with partners. Listen, I swear I’m not antisocial. However, let’s be honest. When you partner up, you don’t always end up with someone who can match your ability, and that’s not ideal.
- Sidestepping my goals. Not planning the workout means you may not address your personal “problem areas” or fitness goals. Morning CG means no evening body pump! </3
So I’m still debating if I’m going to stick with CG or not. I only paid $6 for the camp, so I won’t feel bad if I decide to stop going and continue with my regular workout routine.
I’ll let you know what I decide. In the meantime, I hope you have a great Friday! : )
Share Your Thoughts-
- How do you feel about group exercise?
- Would you choose a morning or evening camp?
- Do you like planning your workouts or letting someone else plan them for you?