When my parents were in town last week, we spent the evenings just relaxing and hanging out with one another. It was a nice, low-pressure way to hang out without feeling like we needed to be doing something.
In fact, one of the biggest highlights of their visit was watching old family videos!
My Dad has recently been converting all our old VHS tapes to DVD, and I convinced my parents to bring some along on their trip. It was such a riot watching my kindergarten-age self run around and be a total ham for the camera. Those were the days!
Some favorite moments:
- Me being a total champ with a hot pink cast on my broken leg, age 4
- Refusing to speak on my 5th birthday because I had just gotten my tonsils out (rough year!)
- The kindgergarten play, “When I Grow Up” … I wanted to be a “model.” So funny seeing my old classmates, as well!
- My failed attempt at playing Bop-It, age 6
- Seeing my dog (now 14 years old) as a puppy again
- My Grandmas (now deceased) doting on my brother and I, and making us laugh without even trying!
It was so much fun watching these videos, many of which probably haven’t even been touched since they were created. Needless to say, I was an adorable kid. 😉
When I head home for Christmas, I hope we can pick up where we left off watching old videos!
- What’s your favorite childhood memory?
- Do old family videos embarrass you, or do you embrace ’em?