I think I discovered the most perfect Savasana song.
Perhaps there’s just something about completing an energizing, renewing and powerful yoga practice on the roof of Whole Foods in 90-some degrees in Austin. But I felt amazing during this song last night.
So, it appears that my meals are following a theme lately…
Yesterday’s dinner + this morning’s breakfast, which I’m calling my “Almost-Fall Apple Cinnamon Mug Cake.” This mug cake was so delicious, I’ve shared the recipe with you below. : )
Speaking of fall… I caved today.
I’ve been seeing this floating around Instagram. Even though I still think it’s too early for pumpkin things, I had to try it! I wasn’t too impressed but that’s probably a good thing… or else I’d have the entire thing gone by now. 😉 What do you think — too soon?
Now onto the good (and healthy) stuff!
Almost-Fall Apple Cinnamon Mug Cake
For the cake-
- 1/2 cup oats OR oat flour*
- 1/2 Tbsp coconut flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 stevia packet
- 2 egg whites
- 3 Tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- cinnamon to taste
- 1-2 Tbsp unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 tsp Justin’s maple almond butter
- Coat a mug with non-stick cooking spray (I use Trader Joe’s coconut oil spray).
- *Grind 1/2 cup oats with a Magic Bullet or high powered blender. Or if you’re using oat flour, you can skip this step.
- Combine dry ingredients.
- Add the wet ingredients, excluding the almond butter. Be sure to stir very well, since some of the batter may “clump” at the bottom of the mug.
- Microwave on HIGH for 1 minute; the cake will still be somewhat liquidy.
- Drop the 1 tsp of almond butter into the center of the mug, covering it with batter.
- Microwave for another 30-60 seconds.
- Carefully remove from microwave – the mug and cake will both be very hot! – and flip onto a plate.
- Cut the cake in half along the ‘equator.’
- Refrigerate for 2-3 minutes or until you can’t wait any longer. 😉
For the “frosting” (optional, but awesome!):
- 2 Tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tsp peanut flour
- cinnamon to taste
Top with dry cereal, granola, nuts, etc. and enjoy!