Want to hear my life story? Just kidding, I’m not going to go into extreme detail. But I figured it would be a good idea to provide some highlights, just to back it up and see how I got to where I am right now, both physically and metaphorically.
So, hi. I’m Emily, I’m 23 and a new resident of Austin, Texas. I grew up in Pennsylvania, and went to school in Ithaca, New York (Go Bombers!).
I graduated in 2013 with a degree in Communication Management and Design, and had the time of my life in school. Since then, I’ve worked as a specialty coffee barista… (“abstract latte art” anybody?), as well as a Marketing Assistant at the Anthropologie home office. Now I’m pursuing my career in ATX!
Though I was always fairly heath-conscious (low-fat Pop Tarts seemed like the better choice at the time…), it wasn’t until winter break of my senior year that I really decided to get serious about it. I was completely self-motivated and held myself accountable to working out harder and smarter, and eating mostly “clean.”
I give a ton of credit to Julie of Peanut Butter Fingers for my workout inspiration. I would screen cap her workouts on my phone and do them at the gym — mostly HIIT treadmill workouts and circuit stuff. It was so much easier than trying to make up my own workouts, which usually ended up in me slackin’!
Spring semester of senior year, I also discovered Body Pump at my school’s gym. It totally changed the way I work out, and my physique! My best friend Sophie and I were accountability buddies and went to Body Pump 2x a week.
I gradually learned how to prepare different meals for myself, and sort of unintentionally adopted a mostly plant-based/pescatarian lifestyle. I eat meat about 1-2x a week, only because I just rarely prepare it.
I was never really overweight, but I ended up losing 10-15 lbs. that semester, not even on purpose. In the past year, I’ve had my ups and downs and have gained about 5 of those lbs. back, which I’m okay with.
To me, health is all about balance. Yes, I will choose a salad over chicken fingers every single time. I make these choices because I enjoy eating veggies, and I don’t like how junk food makes me feel. But know this: I will absolutely pile toppings into my froyo bowl, and lose count of how many Christmas cookies I ate somewhere after my 12th.
I’m working on maintaining that “80/20” rule for eating healthy 80% of the time, and indulging the other 20%. I truly believe that living this way steers me away from bingeing and feeling deprived, which are basically the worst things ever.
At the end of the day, I just really love to eat. A lot. And the more I exercise, the more I get to eat! Both my culinary and fitness adventures have continued to evolve; I just tried oysters and took a Barre class a few weeks ago. I’ve been loving every second of it, and my body has been loving me back. Cheers!